WATER LINE WORK TO CLOSE 1 BLOCK OF CUMBERLAND AVENUE
FOR TWO NIGHTS; ADDITIONAL WORK SCHEDULED
From 10 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 27, until 6 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 28, Cumberland Avenue will be closed between 19th Street and Montcastle Street as a Knoxville Utilities Board crew installs water line infrastructure across Cumberland.
The night-time closure will be repeated at 10 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 28, with the work to be completed by 6 a.m. Friday, Jan. 29.
The infrastructure upgrade is part of the City of Knoxville’s $17 million Cumberland Avenue reconstruction, to be completed by August 2017.
The reconstruction will change the existing four-lane Cumberland between 22nd and 17th streets to a three-lane cross section with a raised median and left-turn lanes at intersections. An earlier phase of work on the western end of Cumberland focused on improving traffic flow between the Alcoa Highway ramps and 22nd Street; that phase finished at the end of 2015, on time and under budget.
The City’s investment in infrastructure and streetscape upgrades will create a more attractive, safer, pedestrian-friendly Cumberland Avenue Corridor.
Meanwhile, anticipate additional lane closures this week:
- Though 6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 27, a lane of South 19th Street is closed between Cumberland and Lake avenues.
- Starting at 6 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 27, and ending at 6 p.m. Friday, Jan. 29, North 20th Street will be closed between Cumberland and White avenues as crews install new storm drains.
- Starting at 9 a.m. Friday, January 29 and ending at 3 p.m. and again on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. the intersection of 18th Street and Cumberland Avenue will be repaved; traffic will be maintained - one lane in each direction.
There also will be several street closures this week due to work on private construction projects:
- Through Friday afternoon, a lane of 17th Street will be closed for work associated with construction of The Standard, a 240-plus-unit apartment complex being built on the southwest corner of 17th Street and White Avenue.
- From 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 30, Clinch Avenue will be closed between 19th and 20th streets due to a hospital construction project.
More information is available at www.CumberlandConnect.com, on the Cumberland Connect Facebook page, facebook.com/CumberlandConnect, and on the Cumberland Connect phone app.
Cumberland Avenue Merchants Association (CAMA) - Monthly Meeting
Date: Wednesday, February 3
Time: 3:00 - 4:00 pm
Location: Copper Cellar, 1807 Cumberland Avenue
What: The merchants and other interested stakeholders meet to discuss items of interest or concern and get updates on the City's Cumberland Avenue Corridor Project.
Parking: Available parking is located at Copper Cellar.